Fried Goat Cheese & Pear Salad
by Nina | August 19, 2012 8:39 pm
I hope you all like goat cheese because I seem to put it on most of my salads. I’m going to try something different next time I promise but I couldn’t resist making this salad for lunch today. I had something similar when I started my job about a year ago. My boss took me out to lunch on my first day and one of the easiest things to eat in a business setting is a salad, right? That was kind of the problem…it was so good and so easy to eat that I wolfed it down right in front of my boss. I must not have offended him too much cause I still have my job, lol.
- 4 cups leafy greens
- 1 red pear, thinly sliced
- 1 small log of goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl toss together the lettuce and pears. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and place the bread crumbs into another small bowl. Cut a small log of goat cheese into small pieces, about the size of 2 tbsp. Roll the piece of goat cheese into a ball in your hands and then gently mold into a disk shape. Repeat this process for the remaining goat cheese.
- Dip each of the pieces of goat cheese in the egg wash and then into the bread crumb mixture. Repeat this process once more. Using your fingers, make sure the bread crumbs are firmly into the goat cheese and set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Lightly fry the goat cheese rounds for about a minute on each side until they are golden brown and are just slightly melted on either side but still retain their shape. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic, honey, salt and pepper. Toss the salad with dressing. Sop with the fried goat cheese and serve immediately.
Slightly adapted from Gaby Dalkin (http://whatsgabycooking.com/fried-goat-cheese-salad/)
Source URL: http://ninascookingjourney.com/fried-goat-cheese-pear-salad/