French Onion Soup
by Nina | August 19, 2012 8:39 pm
This was so easy to make and the taste is incredible. Just like the French onion soup you get at restaurants…probably better!
- 2 Onions sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 20oz beef stock
- 20oz chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 ½ cup Gruyere cheese grated
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups seasoned croutons
- Warm the oil and butter in a pot for about 1 minute or until it begins to create a white foam. Add onions and sauté until the onions are caramelized and have a nice golden brown color. Add oregano and basil and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan by scraping the bits off the bottom. Add remaining stock and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup in an oven safe bowl or ramekin and place croutons on top of soup. Add cheese on top of the croutons and place under a broiler to allow the cheese to melt. Remove from broiler once the cheese begins to bubble and turns a golden brown. Garnish with a little parsley or paprika and enjoy!
Source URL: http://ninascookingjourney.com/french-onion-soup/